Monday, November 29, 2010

Required viewing tonight 9pm

Restrepo.
On the National Geographic Channel; RESTREPO is a feature-length documentary that chronicles the deployment of a platoon of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley. The movie focuses on a remote 15-man outpost, "Restrepo," named after a platoon medic who was killed in action. It was considered one of the most dangerous postings in the U.S. military. This is an entirely experiential film: the cameras never leave the soldiers; there are no interviews with generals or diplomats. The only goal is to make viewers feel as if they have just been through a 90-minute deployment. This is war, full stop. The conclusions are up to you.

10 comments:

Byron said...

It'll have to go to the DVR...I'm asleep by that time, got a 0400 wakeup every morning

Therapist1 said...

I saw it in the theatres and it is worth the time.  However a better representation of the life in Restrepo is the book from which it is based, "War" by Sebastian Junger.

Kristen said...

I've already marked it for recording.  I'm so pleased that it's being shown this quickly on television.

C-dore 14 said...

Thanks for the tip...I'd have forgotten to record it otherwise.

James said...

I did watching it now even if its half over

leesea said...

Talking about a Band of Brothers, all heroes some going back for more tours.  My admiration is higher now. I tell you I didn’t want to be a trooper and now I know why!  First they hump all their own gear in, then the expect to get hit daily and then there are 5, 6, 7 firefights a day!  At most we would get into one firefight a day on the river.  Jeesh the looks in those soldiers eyes after the battles were haunting.  I think a couple have PTSD for sure.

Surfcaster said...

Large. Round. Ones.

Anonymous said...

Download "War" on your iPad -- the enhanced version.  It has "Restrepo" video embedded, so as you read the chapters, you can watch...waaaaaaaaaaaaay cool!

Anonymous said...

Total Control Marketing Review- Great piece of details that you?ve received on this website article. Hope I could possibly get some a lot more of the stuff on your own web site. I will arrive again.

Anonymous said...

Need to keep testing my blog. Not working as I want it to yet. Thx for the theme. Maybe this will get mine to look better.